Mobile phone Technology Quiz Questions and answers
1. During the 1930s and 1940s, inventor Donald Hings helped to develop a two-way radio device called the Walkie-Talkie. For which government did Hings work during the Second World War?
2. Name the first commercially available mobile phone.
• Motorola Dyna TAC 8000X (1983, by Martin Cooper)
3. Expand PSTN
• Public Switched Telephone Network
4. Which country hosted the launch of the first commercial cellular network?
• Japan (1979)
5. Which company launched the first cellular network in the world?
• Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (NTT)
6. In a cellular system, as the distributed mobile transceivers move from cell to cell during an ongoing continuous communication, switching from one cell frequency to a different cell frequency is done electronically without interruption and without a base station operator or manual switching. This is called the _________
• Handover or Handoff
7._____________ is a standard developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) to describe the protocols for second-generation (2G) digital cellular networks used by mobile devices such as mobile phones and tablets.
• Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)
8. The unique code used to identify SIM Cards on their individual operator networks
• International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI)
9. Expand “eSIM”
• embedded Subscriber Identity Module
10. The fear of being without your mobile phone or losing your signal
11. Which company is the present parent of the network operator Tata- Docomo?
• Bharti Airtel
12. Which country has “Mobile Phone Throwing” as an official sport?
13. The first smartphone in the world was designed by ________
• IBM (1994)
14. What was the commercial name of the first smartphone designed by IBM which went by the codename “Andler”
• Simon Personal Communicator
15. Which company manufactured the IBM Simon?
• Mitsubishi Electric
16. Expand VoLTE
• Voice over Long-Term Evolution
17. Which is the Worlds’ largest mobile network operator (terrestrial)?
• China Mobile Communications Corporation (994M users)
18. Which is India’s largest mobile network operator (terrestrial)?
• Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd. (370M users)
19. Expand EDGE
• Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution
20. The practice of ignoring one’s companion or companions in order to pay attention to one’s phone or any other mobile device is known as _______
21. ________ is a practice of modifying (mostly an iOS device) to remove restrictions imposed by the manufacturer or operator, e.g. to allow the installation of unauthorized software.
22. iOS is based on _____ kernel
23.Which was the first Android version to be named after a confectionery?
• Android 1.5 Cupcake (2009)
24. Which was the first commercially available Android device?
• HTC Dream
25. The most predominant mobile processors today are based on ARM architecture. What is the expansion of ARM?
• Advanced RISC Machine (RISC- Reduced Instruction Set Computing)
26. ARM architecture is designed by ARM Holdings. Which is the parent company of ARM Holdings?
• SoftBank Group
27. ________ is an integrated circuit (also known as a “chip”) that integrates all or most components of a computer or other electronic system. These components almost always include a central processing unit (CPU), memory, input/output ports, and secondary storage – all on a single substrate or microchip, the size of a coin.
• SoC (System on Chip)
28. What was the original name of the Global Positioning System (GPS)?
• NAVSTAR GPS
29. Which is the satellite navigation system that is operated by Russia as an alternative to GPS?
• GLONASS (GLObal NAvigation Satellite System)
30. When was nano-SIM first introduced?
• 2012 October 11
31. ________ is a measure of the rate at which energy is absorbed per unit mass by a human body when exposed to a radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic field.
• Specific Absorption Rate (SAR)
32. The permissible SAR Value range for mobile devices sold in India is______
• ≤ 1.6 watts per kilogram (W/kg)
33. ________is an open-source capability-based operating system currently being developed by Google which is expected to replace Android in the future.
• Google Fuchsia
34. Expand GPRS.
• General Packet Radio Service
35. Which the most sold mobile handset (model) worldwide?
• Nokia 1100 and Nokia 1110 (250M units each)
36. Which mobile communication technology has been named after the epithet of a Scandinavian king?
37. Expand AMOLED.
• Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode
38. Expand IMEI.
• International Mobile Equipment Identity
39. ______ is a walking person using a smartphone and not paying attention as they walk, possibly risking an accident in the process, an increasing social phenomenon.
• A “Smombie” (smartphone + zombie)
40. The series of Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) designed and made by Apple was called________
• Apple Newton
41. _________an operating system created by Psion in the 1990s which went on to become the most popular smartphone OS on average until the end of 2010.
• Symbian OS
42. Expand UMTS.
• Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
43. Expand CDMA
• Code Division Multiple Access
44. Expand VoIP
• Voice over Internet Protocol
45. Name the mobile OS designed by Amazon.
• Fire OS
46. Who were the founders of Android Inc?
• Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears, Chris White
47. In which year did Google acquire Android Inc?
48. Name the series of smartphone SoCs manufactured by Samsung.
• Samsung Exynos
49. Expand APK.
• Android PacKage
50.Google released a lightweight version of Android for low specification devices starting with Android Oreo. What was this lightweight edition called?
• Android Go
Hope you enjoyed the mobile phone technology quiz questions and answers, please share your feedback in the comments below.